Randomized Header

Sunday, December 4, 2011

"What Sarah Said": a lo-fi, live action web comic (episode 13, #occupy #education #occupyedu )

*** Click image to enlarge. ***

Like most Americans, I have seen a fair amount of media coverage surrounding the whole Occupy movement, but know very little about the ideals propelling the whole revolution. Lately I've busied myself watching the tweet grid #OCCUPY, yet I know little more than the whole "We are the 99%" notion about the 1% possessing the lion's share of money and power.

The more I read, the more I wonder about the possible intersections between #OCCUPY and what is happening with the current state of education. The political mandate of "No Child Left Behind" and so-called education reform "Race To the Top" constrains public education to test prep readiness, suffocating anything that cannot be measured through multiple choice and a #2 pencil. Of course there is the whole matter about who really stands to profit from all this.

The random Google Search of OCCUPY and EDUCATION led me to Occupy Education's tumblr and Facebook websites. I love how the sentimentality of the site empowers students and teachers to express their voice in speaking out against testing culture. There's more. Like Jersey Jazzman at Blue Jersey wrote a very sarcastic op ed piece about "Occupy Education Reform". Though, I often turn to Bob Barker's "School Finance 101" for a quantified analysis, or Diane Ravitch for a rallying cry.

There is a healthy counter-revolution forming in response to heavily politicized ed reform. I hope resistance to standardized testing culture takes hold before my own children attend public school.


1 comment:

  1. Could you submit your comic to Occupy Education Tumblr site. I would love to share it with the world..... This is awesome! Www.occupyedu.tumblr.com/submit

    David Loitz
    Co-editor of Occupy Education and Cooperative Catalyst

    ReplyDelete