Randomized Header

Friday, November 11, 2011

Songs I Want to Learn: "Let My Love Open the Door" & "Question" Acoustic Covers

Today one of my best friends is getting married in the Mohunk Mountain House up in the New York Catskill mountain range.

Over the past year, we had knocked around the idea of an acoustic performance-- Jon singing in his "James Taylor meets country twang" voice, and me accompanying on acoustic guitar. For all of our good intentions, we were all talk... until a month ago. Jon asked me sincerely, "So, are we really going to do this." I nodded, and we set to task.

We both pitched ideas for songs: easy enough to learn, good vocal range, thematically appropriate. The six song selection was quickly narrowed down to three, and again to two. It's better to perform a few songs well than to have a larger set at the risk of mediocrity. Besides, it's the thought that counts.

Tonight we will perform Old 97's "Question" and Sondre Lerche's "Let My Love Open the Door." As usual, finding good source material to learn from was a critical part of our process. Here are two YouTube videos that helped greatly.



No comments:

Post a Comment